[asterisk-biz] Connection to legacy PBX to Asterisk

Kim C. Callis kim.callis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 09:24:13 MST 2007

Henry,

Trust me, that was my first suggestion to this client... Of course, the
client is the CIO, which means that he has read a lot of magazines, and has
made his executive decision. Knows just enough to be dangerous or a PITA
(and in the end the end, aren't those one in the same?). I used to deal with
Panasonic, and that is all I want to do currently is learn about another
piece of legacy crap that I am trying to get out of the equation!

Well, that makes things a little more difficult, but maybe not... For the
first could of SIP endpoints that I am bringing there, I connected the * via
FXO to the 96... This allows them to play with the features of *, and they
can still have some connectivity with the 96. I am with you 100% in getting
rid of the basics keysystem and switch over to *, but it has been a hard
sell...

Thanks for the information...

On 2/27/07, Henry L.Coleman <henry.coleman at voip-pbx.ca> wrote:

> The Toshiba has a single line extension unit which allows one analog phone
> and one can always interface a key system or PBX to Asterisk via FXO to
> FXS
> convertion. If you want to use the IVR in * to select extensions on the
> Toshiba then you will have a problem as the incoming calls can only use
> the intercom channel. As with most key systems the concept is to use the
> intercom channel to announce a call pickup on a line number eg "you have a
> call on line one" with a PBX the called person only has to hold the line
> while the call is transfered. Actually, a client of mine recently
> completely swapped a Toshiba system for an * solution. the more lines  and
> stations the key system has the more likely an * solution will be
> accepted.
>

> Henry L. Coleman.
> Web: www.voip-pbx.ca
> Tel: 1 866 415 5355
>

> Kim C. Callis said:
> > A client wants to connection their Toshiba Strata 96 to *. I have
> > installed
> > a Digium TDM 11B (one fxo and one fxs), and was wondering is I had to do
> > anything spectacular to make * talk to the Toshiba? I figured that I
> would
> > connect the fxs back to the 66-block, and tie the fxo port into the
> > 66-block
> > as well. On the Toshiba assign an extension to the fxs card, and if I am
> > following this correctly, all .
> > a person as to do is dial to that extension and have all of the
> > functionality of *.
> >
> > Does that sound correct or have I taken a wrong turn somewhere?
> >
> > K.

Kim C. Callis
kim.callis at gmail.com
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects!"
-- Robert A. Heinlein