[asterisk-biz] Ribbit.com ?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Dec 18 15:54:54 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 16:18 -0500, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> 	To be clear, all these distinctions mean that since JIAX was released
> under GPL, applets derived from it are also under GPL if they're
> embedded in a public webpage (not a private intranet accessible by only
> members of the org that derived the new applet). So, according to the
> GPL, the new applet's source code must be published with the same
> distribution scope as the executable applet's distribution scope (eg.
> the public Internet).

well yes/no, it could be that they are released on the internet but only
after a successful auth so they can still require someone to pay to be
able to download the code.  There is a provision that you cant hide it
really well, but it would still take someone *affected* to file a suit
if someone didnt.  You wouldnt be able to sue as a non-customer that you
cant get the code if its only 'distributed' to customers on a post-auth
basis.

Not one person has demonstrated that this was ever the case with this
particular app.  Thus its a moot point.  The bigger point that seems to
be glossed over is that if you wanted to do the same thing the
modifications required are aparently trivial and could be done in 1-7
days.

As a result if people really want this, it shouldnt be that hard to do.
https://jain-sip-applet-phone.dev.java.net/  code is available on that
page
http://www.xcad.com/xcad/java_sip_multichannel.html I dont know what
this is I am bored and dont feel like reading the page
http://sip-communicator.org/  lgpl licensed java something
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsip  gpl licensed java something

http://w3.antd.nist.gov/it_voip.shtml  your tax dollars at work, they
have java tools for stuff

Stuff is out there google is your friend, I found that in under 3
minutes including reading the pages (some :) and omiting ones that didnt
seem to be distinct (several were built in jain).  The effort so far
seems to be not in implementing the technology but discussing it and
licensing issues, which is fine - you should *fully* understand any
license you opt into, what its benefits are (not hyped versions) and
what its downsides are (*all* licenses have a downside of some sort).
But if people really wanted these technologies they could have had it
implemented by now :P

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200