[asterisk-biz] Ribbit.com ?

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Tue Dec 18 15:18:49 CST 2007

	To be clear, all these distinctions mean that since JIAX was released
under GPL, applets derived from it are also under GPL if they're
embedded in a public webpage (not a private intranet accessible by only
members of the org that derived the new applet). So, according to the
GPL, the new applet's source code must be published with the same
distribution scope as the executable applet's distribution scope (eg.
the public Internet).

	The point of the GPL is that people who execute the software have the
right to read (and revise, and further distribute under those same terms
and obligations) the source code. With the sole exception being SW
received under the GPL which is not distributed to users (or anyone
else) outside the org that received it (and its source code, FWIW).

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 22:57 +0200, Zoa wrote:
> Yes, if they keep that inside the company yes, as soon as it leaves the
> company (customers for example) it changes the situation
>
> Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 21:41 +0200, Zoa wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think a java applet can be hosted code, as it will get
> >> downloaded before execution.
> >>

> > That depends on how its used, if its embedded into a webpage that is
> > used only internally along with say a CRM solution or whatever, then it
> > doesnt get distributed.  If that were the case then many companies would
> > ban gpl software since their employees could take and distribute the
> > code, and google for example would frown upon their employees taking the
> > code and selling it to anyone that wanted to compete.  Although
> > employees would likely be able to retire if they could get everything.
> >
> > Distribution is when it goes from one entity, which may not be a person
> > when its used internally that way.

(C) Matthew Rubenstein