[asterisk-biz] Ribbit.com ?

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Tue Dec 18 10:26:48 CST 2007

Steve,
I'm confused about why you decided not to use your development or offer
it back to the community?

If you've got it and don't want to use it I'm sure there are some people
on the list that would like to see what you've done and implement it on
a no-support basis.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Pty Ltd
dean at cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357
+61-2-9016-5642 (Sydney in-dial).

Mexuar's.
> I was able to compile a workign jar from source myself with a few
changes
> and I am not a Dev guy, let alone a Java guy at all (but it took me
the
> better part of week).
>
> I think that the demand is not really there (yet).  Most real world
people
> would rather pick up a real phone and dial a toll free number than don
> headset with mic and make a call via browser.  I think it has some wow
power
> to "our kind", but I think the average Joe would not use this until
> convergence is more complete to avoid putting on headphones (like a
> bluetooth link from PC to a hardphone or cell).
>
> It is similar to many companies that I consult for.  The people in the
> company want to know the bare essentials to use the phones.  Sometimes
the
> higher ups are interested in advanced functionality but more often
than not,
> they just want something to replace (insert phone system here) in
> functionality with a few remote phones or remote offices.  During the
sales
> cycle however, they are wowed by the possibilities which certainly
helps and
> stands out from the crowd since there are no material nor licensing
costs,
> just time.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro

Mexuar
> > needs a return on their investment to cover their costs and a profit
> > return.
> >
> > At the end of the day they chose to go with the high end unlimited
use
> > for a single reasonable fee of $US2,000 which means any service
provider
> > or large company could implement it quite easily and they offered an
ASP
> > service for one off licenses with a monthly fee.
> >
> > What confuses me about this whole space is JIAX.
> >
> > If there is an existing free application available, albeit free and
not
> > perfect, why haven't more people chosen to spend time fixing this or
> > offered bounties for it's improvement.
> >
> > At the end of the day maybe there just aren't as many people looking
> > use this functionality as 'perceived' and my proposal is wrong. As
it's
> > not my investment I think the founders of Mexuar made the right
choice.

> > Will be interesting to see if a lot of people chime in on this
> > discussion and I'm shown to be right and there is a market for $25
per
> > simultaneous call licenses.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Dean Collins