[asterisk-biz] Ribbit.com ?

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Tue Dec 18 06:32:44 CST 2007

	$5 per end user is way too much for little Web apps like chatrooms or
sales/cust-svc chats, or anything where a given random user from the
public on the Web isn't going to return at least $10 a year in profit
from which that license can be paid. Even $5 per running instance is too
high. The problem isn't so much the price, but just a per-instance fee
as a limit to scale.

	The solution is a license fee on a middleware server with traffic
capacities, and a free client. But if the middleware does't offer value
of its own (beyond being the "key" for the clients to work), then it's
going to be a nuisance. In any case, the client should be free. Which is
one impediment to widespread development, which is a reason it isn't
here yet. But since there is some development, with those bizmodel
constraints, I'd think there'd be several options already for "webpage
voice" integrated with the PSTN. These same business constraints don't
seem to have eliminated any number of free clients floating around and
seeing lots of use. Which are then harnessed to support business models
relating to the business, not to the software used by the business.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein