[asterisk-biz] Ribbit.com ?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Dec 17 16:40:22 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 17:21 -0500, Mike Clark wrote:
> Ribbit has a totally different model as they are a full blown ITSP and
> have provided a Flex/Actionscript API to their Flash phone component at
> no charge to developers. I have an app ready to roll as soon as they are
> completely live.
>
> I would love to see a similar type API to a Flash SIP or IAX2 component
> where I could access my own Asterisk or Freeswitch server.
>
> Mike Clark

How is audio transport done?  Gizmocall.com has had a flash client for a
while, which streams tcp port 443 (it is ssl data my guess is that its
straight https).  They have a plugin which I think is just for
authentication.  To deal with any potential loss that may occur they
probably send a modified rtp style packet with timestamps so you can
drop audio to sync up with wall clock when it comes back.  Flash
reportedly has issues doing udp, as in it doesnt do it (I am not a flash
monkey so I dont know for sure, but that is what others have said).

If that is the case at least to FreeSWITCH you can stream mp3s and
bridge that to another call leg.  This means it is currently in its
present form compatible with standard flash and a trivial client could
be fashioned.  Ming.sourceforge.net lets you code flash apps instead of
using a gui to create them, and may make development easier for some.

There exists the ability to bridge text IM to jabber or sip (to from,
mix/match) and can even do a text based ivr if you wanted.  XML-rpc
gives you control over the system, etc.  It wouldnt be that hard to use
this as the base to compete with ribbit if you wanted.

OpenMRCP (another OSTAG-Open Source Telephony Advancement Group -
release) lets you interface to ASR/TTS that way if you wanted.  There
are native cepstral and lumenvox modules that dont require that but it
gives you a choice.

There exists RTP failover (someone pulls the power cord the call stays
up, including state in the application, the customer never knows),
clustering and other things that make this a not too shabby solution.

I am unsure on the capabilities of asterisk in this regard it may do
some or all of it.  It may be just as trivial to integrate this into
asterisk.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200