[asterisk-biz] RS-232 FAX/Modems for Faxing !?

Sergey b2b at ipstyle.org
Thu Aug 23 01:19:09 CDT 2007

Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Seysan <AFShin9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> about 1 week ago I asked a question about using EXTERNAL Fax/Modems (RS-232)
>>  that can be used as an FXO or FXS.
>> But I couldn't get to a clear answer yet!
>>

> No, that is not possible.

I have an IVR which uses 5 Courier V. Everything (external modems) and
runs under Vgetty. So, technically, there are no problems to use
external modems. There are almost no chances, that those modems will
work with asterisk out of the box, most likely some coding would be
required. But, to be honest, i don't believe that internal modems works
out of the box smoothly. So, some efforts would be required on both
internal and external modems.