[asterisk-biz] Skype Outage Leaves Millions Speechless

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Aug 17 11:11:39 CDT 2007

airlines have had issues, people still fly.  pacwest is in bankruptcy,
gblx has been, people still make phone calls, the steel industry had
issues, delphi went bankrupt and people spelled doom for the
automotive industry, yet people still drive cars.

You mentioned a few companies that have had issues, how many are there
that havent?  I almost wonder if this is an attempt to make a self
fufiling prophecy by scaring everyone off or if this is just always
looking at the down and never the up.

There are over 300M in america alone, over 6B in the world, that is a
fairly large market to tap into.  Some may be scared, it took a while
for the telephone to be accepted in the first place, took a while for
the internet to be accepted when it was available, the auto, space
flights, air planes, television and radio, all took time.

Is there bad press?  Yes, because that sells newspapers and gets
people to click on ad laden webpages.  There is also good press,
although that generally doesnt get as much notice.  The $2B buyout of
skype got WAY more attention than the outage they had yesterday.  I
have had PSTN troubles in the past due to forest fires and other
things.  Do you think that in NY or New Orleans they had flawless
phone coverage over the last few years?  What about the AT&T snafu
(coding error, transposed characters) that took out AT&Ts eastern
seaboard operations for a while (ok that was a while ago, but still).
That got a lot of press too.

Now there is so much information that most people cant read it all,
they ignore most of what they see.  If you have a good product, and
can prove it, your customers wont run away, if they do then perhaps
your product isnt as good as you thought.  If you have any reasonable
marketing skills you can attract new ones easily enough.  Education is
a key, keep your customers in the dark and they will only know what
the media and others tell them.

On 8/17/07, Al Bochter <Al.Bochter at bochterservices.com> wrote:

>  Bruce
>
>  Thank you for pointing the date on "Six Reasons to avoid VoIP"
>  I don't think it would be irrelevant due to Sunrocket and other providers
> going under and leaving customers high and dry.
>  and losing there money.
>
>  I think this it would show a BAD trend that VoIP is getting bad PR do to
> the date of Nov 2005 that you pointed out.
>  And this would show a higher need for more information about VoIP providers
>  Best regards,

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200