[asterisk-biz] Outbound Messaging, Voice Broadcasting, Alerts,

Gerard Hickey hickey at kinetic-compute.com
Tue Aug 7 01:44:51 CDT 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 1:41 AM, Luki wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a program/code out there for high volume voice
>> broadcasting, the applications include high volume political calling,
>> outbound surveys, emergency notifications, patient reminders, etc,
>> etc.
>> Looking for a program that can handle small volumes of calls,
>> example 50
>> to 200 calls for doctors offices to very large call volumes of
>> 1,000,0000 calls per hour for mass messaging.
>
> For a project like this, a distributed solution would be ideal. You
> know, Google-style: lots of low-end machines, cheaper and redundancy
> included. With Asterisk you probably can't squeeze more than 250 calls
> even on a decent hardware, and for 1,000,000 calls per hour, say 2
> minutes in duration (with call setup), you need about 130 decent
> machines. Or like 300 low-end ones... so like 8 racks full.
>
> The code should be pretty simple (this setup is easily distributable).
> One beefy database server (or a small cluster for redundancy) can
> handle ~500-1000 queries/sec you'd need to sustain for 1,000,000 calls
> per hour.

Yes, you definitely need to have a distributed solution to scale up
to the 1M calls/hour, but the architecture is much more complex than
you first might think it is.

First you need to have a set of machines as directors to keep track
of what machines have outdial capabilities. Using a director approach
allows one to have better control of the systems and receive up to
the minute reporting concerning the efficiency of the cluster of
asterisk machines. Arguably you could reverse the solution and have
the individual asterisk boxes query the database when it has
capability to place a call, but it is easy to have two or more
asterisk boxes attempting to dial the same number. You also have the
problem of not detecting asterisk boxes that are not pulling their
own weight as easily.

The bigger problem is call scheduling. Your queueing system gets very
complex very fast when you start servicing multiple clients with
different requirements and different workloads. Lets take the
examples from the first email: a doctor's office placing patient
reminders and a political campaign. Everything is great when the
system is processing the patient reminders because the system is
lightly loaded. Then the political campaign starts and the system
gets flooded with thousands of calls (seems to me that 1M calls is a
bit much unless you are doing national political campaigns). As the
campaign calls take over the system, one will find that without the
proper queuing algorithms the patient reminders are now being placed
2 days after the appointments.

Finally, blacklists and do not call lists need to be incorporated
into the system. If  I remember correctly there are a number of
federal regulations concerning automated calling that also need to be
addressed in the system along with observing time of day restrictions
for the destination number.

All in all the solution gets pretty complex pretty fast. Unless you
do a hack job, just don't care and have not problem treating your
customers like dirt. Then you have it made.
--
Gerard Hickey                             Kinetic Compute Services
hickey at kinetic-compute.com                694 Allen Ave.

Specializing in UNIX/Linux/Mac OSX solutions for business and education.
      * ACSA certified and member of Apple Consultants Network

Alternative contact methods:
     Jabber: unixgeek at jabber.kinetic-compute.com
     AIM:    unixgeek69
     Skype:  unixgeek69

All email messages are sent digitally signed with a X.509 key for
authentication purposes. Messages not signed should be considered
forgeries and discarded.