[asterisk-biz] Mobile Termination via GSM Gateways

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Aug 3 13:13:37 CDT 2007

Unlimited plans. Family plans with many shared minutes (base charge plus
$10/mo per extra phone or SIM).

When I was in war torn West Africa, you could not get a land line in any
way shape or form. I met with the Minister of Telecom for Liberia and he
had a phone on his desk which ironically did not work (not surprising
with all the bullet holes and total lack of power, although the building
was very nice). GSM is the only thing that works there.

I suspect other areas with limited supplies of land lines or monopolies
on PSTN connectivity create a very high price for service. I setup a
call center for the US Embassy in Dakar Senegal and the cost of an E1
from Sonatel (monopoly) was $3,000 per month just for the loop,
comparable with a VSAT hookup!

It may not make sense in areas where a T1 costs a couple hundred bucks
and minutes are ~$.01 per minute, but you have to think globally.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro