[asterisk-biz] Mobile Termination via GSM Gateways

Douglas Garstang DGarstang at interainc.com
Fri Aug 3 12:15:42 CDT 2007

I was reading that if you want to terminate to cell phones, that sending
the calls through a GSM (or whatever technology is locally available)
gateway, is cheaper than sending the calls to the PSTN via T1/E1,
Analog.

How is that?

I'm not sure how these devices work anyway.

Does the gateway appear as a regular cell phone to the mobile network?

Would you just purchase an unlimited plan from the cell phone provider?
Is that how it works out cheaper?

I also see specs saying that the devices support a certain number of SIM
cards. Why do you need SIM cards? Does each port on the gateway appear
as a separate mobile phone?

Would that mean if your gateway supported 8 ports, you'd need to
purchase 8 unlimited mobile phone plans?

Do ITSP's generally terminate calls to cell phone networks via GSM
gateways or T1/Analog gateways? If they terminated calls via GSM
gateways, the calls should be pretty cheap, but I see that ITSP's
published rates to cell phones are always a lot more expensive anyway.

Doug.