[asterisk-biz] wireless sip pager

Stelios Koroneos skoroneos at digital-opsis.com
Thu Aug 2 02:19:06 CDT 2007

> If you've done it properly, it "kind of" works. By kind of I mean that
> the handover is typically longer then desirable (can be few seconds)
> so that's not acceptable if you are moving fast. You need to have at
> least two APs within range for a few seconds to have "seamless"
> handover. If you walk slowly, it kind of works. At least with the UT
> Starcom phones and laptops. I still do not call it optimal.

That's true there is a delay between handovers but as i said the original
post was for "sip text paging"

> Some people say it's best to have the APs on different channels,
> others say they should be on the same channel. We have tried the
> former, but it does depend on your environment. If the range is short
> (lots of thick walls) then having APs on the same channel may be
> desirable -- the device can see other APs more easily without
> re-tuning to a different channel. If you have too many on the same
> channel you simply get degraded signal due to interference.

Well as you said it depends on the way the wifi mesh is setup and the "local
enviroment"
If your AP's are withing range of each other (AP 1 if turned into a client
can connect to AP 2 and vice versa) its better to have them in the same
channel
This is due to the way WIFI works (it is listening for transmition on the
channel before it tries to transmit, pretty similar to the way ethernet
works)
If the AP's are withing range of each other they can "hear"  the
transmitions and avoid transmiting when the other is using the channel and
so avoid collisions and resending of packages.
If they are out of range its better to use a different channel and note that
from the 11+ channels (depending on the area you are using wifi) only 4 are
actually not interferring

Stelios S. Koroneos

Digital OPSiS - Embedded Intelligence
http://www.digital-opsis.com