[asterisk-biz] wireless sip pager

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:13:06 CDT 2007

>  I tried your method using several wireless homeplugs or routers with the
> same SSID and one DHCP but the connections always get cut and the calls
> drops alot especially when the signal overlaps. The wifi phone gets confused
> as to which to register too.

If you've done it properly, it "kind of" works. By kind of I mean that
the handover is typically longer then desirable (can be few seconds)
so that's not acceptable if you are moving fast. You need to have at
least two APs within range for a few seconds to have "seamless"
handover. If you walk slowly, it kind of works. At least with the UT
Starcom phones and laptops. I still do not call it optimal.

They key is, as said previously, to have one central DHCP server and
all APs in simple AP mode (no routing). The same IP is valid on all
APs so no re-registration or IP requests are necessary.

Some people say it's best to have the APs on different channels,
others say they should be on the same channel. We have tried the
former, but it does depend on your environment. If the range is short
(lots of thick walls) then having APs on the same channel may be
desirable -- the device can see other APs more easily without
re-tuning to a different channel. If you have too many on the same
channel you simply get degraded signal due to interference.

--Luki