[asterisk-biz] Carriers not allowing CallerID to be set to a 800 number?

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Apr 18 18:23:36 MST 2007

I was passing an 800 for outbound CallerID and ANI on a DS3 from Global
Crossing.  There where only a few times when calls would be rejected and
only when dialing another toll free.  Gateway computers was one of them,
or rather their provider would block.  The reason was billing, they had
no way of knowing how to bill.  Since we had a flat rate for all
outbound, it never affected anything other than dialing very few other
toll frees.

I never got a chance to clear it up, I made a temporary fix to set the
caller id to a local number if the dialed number matched one of the
known toll frees that were blocking.  The CEO wanted to send the toll
free CallerID.  I also added a prefix of 7 to route to an outbound
dialplan that passed a local number as a bypass.

I was about to try this:

Set(CALLERID(number)=8004444444)
set(CALLERID(ANI)=<4105551212>)

But never got the opportunity to try it.  It seems that you can set ANI
and CallerID to be different.

If someone can try this and report success or failure, it may help many
people out.

Thanks,
Steve