[asterisk-biz] Carriers not allowing CallerID to be set to a 800 number?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Apr 18 18:13:20 MST 2007

On 4/19/07, Paul <ast2005 at 9ux.com> wrote:

> I would never consider sending tollfree as caller ID unless I could get
> cnam set like BankofAmerica does. From what i see I guess the majority
> of tollfree providers don't offer that option.

I understand you phrased that as your opinion, however, I wanted to add that
some people only have a tollfree number and there isnt a local 10 digit
number they can pass.  While this is their choice (and makes it harder to
have people from other countries ever contact them, something they may not
have considered, it is still a reality in todays marketplace.

> >     action to control our costs. As such, any calls passed through
> teliax
> >     with a non-valid callerid (this means toll-free CID as well) will be
> >     allowed to pass but with a newly generated interstate caller ID."

And now we get to the crux of the matter.  There are many carriers that are
forced due to recent  decisions and all to basically try to stop intrastate
calls being billed as interstate and all of that.  As such depending on
which carrier it is they use CLID as the inter/intra basis (others use other
info such as the BTN, some let you specify the BTN per call, others only at
account creation).  Given this, since there are different rates, often
intrAstate is much higher if its not local (ie from one LATA to another)
than intErstate.  It appears that this is the problem, and since tollfree
numbers are NGN (non-geographic numbers) they are probably billed at the
highest possible rate, and may even have some ratio clause (typical carrier
interconnection agreements have an ANI clause where you have to pass at
least say 96% with valid ANI or rates change for compensation purposes).

This is not to be confused with the iowa situation that is presently going
on, but its tangentically related.

So basically if they cant get valid info from you they are going to ensure
they pay the lowest termination rate they can, otherwise its what you send.
I dont see a problem with this personally, but I am sure some carrier will
try to pitch a fit because they dont feel they are getting all the
compensation  they should be.

>     Is this something that will be happening across the industry, or is it
> >     specific to Teliax? This is causing us all sorts of problems, so is
> >     there a good VOIP company out there that:

its more or less across the industry and it started last year.  I would
guess that since the big guys started dealing with this last year, that the
trickle down effect will ultimately catch up to the resellers, and all.  I
wonder who teliax is going through that they didnt have to do this last
year, since that is when level3, xo, and others started doing this.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!