[asterisk-biz] What do you pay for PRI in the US?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Apr 17 09:28:27 MST 2007

On 4/17/07, Mike Hammett <asterisk-biz at ics-il.net> wrote:

> I'm not talking about any specific cases here.
>
> This is one advantage of VoIP vs. TDM.  If you run out of TDM channels,
> how
> many months does it take to get new ones?  If you have VoIP connections,
> it
> could be as quick as that same day.

That depends, in new york city, when mci wanted to install new circuits (T1
or greater) to a customer and were told by the city it would be a 6-9 month
wait to dig up the street (again over 10 years ago when infrastructure wasnt
as robust as it is today) they would declare an emergency which lets em do
it in days.  They did this often to try to capture as much of the voice and
data market as possible and own the wire to certain buildings in manhattan
where they could make even more money.

That time is largely past in many places, although there still are some and
for many if the fiber or whatever isnt already in the building you are boned
for probably 2 weeks for the order to be put in, weeks to months to install
it, and so on.

Reselling VoIP circuits generally isnt bad as long as you have a private
interconnect (ie not public internet and not a vpn over public internet
which some companies have marketed as providing reliability) with the
carrier, and they dont have some funky interconnect to the pstn.  With that
said, VoIP based switches tend to have higher call setup/tear down costs
than legacy switches, so a bunch of low ALOC calls may disrupt more than
just busy signals and a contention rate may need to be adjusted to consider
that as well - not just total channel capacity.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!