[asterisk-biz] 800 DID's

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Apr 14 21:06:23 MST 2007

On 4/14/07, Eric Babcock <eric at molten.us> wrote:

>   * IVR has a very unprofessional message about rotary callers... funny...
> but unprofessional for a corporate phone system.
>
> And as for the prompt I put on there about rotary callers, sorry but we
> don't accept them, and I doubt you'll find a VOIP provider that does(Someone
> tell me if I'm wrong).
> **To my knowledge, Digium didn't build in support for rotary phones** (I
> may be wrong on this one though)

to my knowledge, you cant reliably detect pulse digits via the pstn, since
its a voltage on/off cycle that indicates what was dialed.  There are some
ways that you can attempt to do it, but since that voltage change doesnt
cross the PSTN, unless you are physically connected to the phone it wont be
reliable, and most systems dont allow you to even specify that as an
option.  VoIP also has the same issues detecting it (although some ATAs may
and translate that to something else).

This leads me to wonder why you mentioned digiums support for it, when the
context was calling your IVR via a tollfree number, which would presumably
exclude 'local to your box' callers.  I also wonder about the VoIP provider
doing pulse comment as well, given the above - although in reality it relies
on the hardware the phone is physically plugged into (I have had some ATAs
that do support pulse dialing though and they do 2833 translation).  The
VoIP provider would have to be unaware since there is no way to get this
information to them.

Strange for a company to be applying for CLEC status and make comments about
pulse dialing publicly like that.
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!