[asterisk-biz] Max concurrent calls?

Zoa zoachien at securax.org
Tue Apr 3 10:24:02 MST 2007

Michael Munger wrote:
> 1. Single server is not a requirement. If we have to use 10 servers,
> that would be ok, but I would like to use the most efficient number of
> servers possible.

I would advise otherwise, i would not recommend doing more than 300
channels per server (Even if you could). I would definately not do 1000
simultaneous calls on a single server. (I seriously doub't you would
even get that far, whatever CPU's you throw at it).
imho, it's better to use less, cheaper ones and take care of load
balancing and failover. (It will also scale better this way).
Agreed, it's a little more work.
> 2. Sky's the limit on the hardware. Dual quad-core zeons w/ 8GB of RAM

8 GB of ram is overkill, spend more money on network cards.
> is what I was thinking initially. HP Prolient DL series, running FC4.
>
> 3. 1000 calls will be talking. Individual conversations.
>
> 4. To lessen the load on the server, most of these calls will be using
> the same codec, and thus we will try our best to limit the amount of
> transcoding that is necessary.

That's a good thing, if you are using IAX, using trunking will give you
a lower load. If  your clients are not behind nat, transferring some
might help lower the load too. (if you could, if you need billing it
will not work).
As when you are not using transcoding, most of the load is coming from
looping through bigger lists (where delays might happen because of
locking) and network related activity (part of it limited to 1 cpu), it
might not scale as well as you might expect it to. (If you were doing
transcoding will scale better when adding more CPU's)

By this i mean:

when you do heavy transcoding, moving from 1 cpu to 2 may get you 80%
more calls, but when not doing transcoding, just lots of packets per
second, you might only get 20% more calls.

Feel free to talk to me on irc about it.

Zoa

> 5. Nothing else runs on the machine. It will be dedicated.

Well, even then it will depend. (Asterisk has many little parts,
connectivity towards a database server, or recordings or anything that
could cause delays are disk writes are dangerous and have to be handled
with caution).