OT: Gore Still Ahead (was: Re: [asterisk-biz] New Wholesale Company)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 27 20:35:57 MST 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:48:09PM -0400, C F wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Matthew Rubenstein <email at mattruby.com> wrote:
> >        And now you've made more of a claim to inventing it than Gore ever
> >        did:
> >http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp .
>
> You goto be out of your cottonpicking mind or blinded by politics,
> chose whichever you want, if you have any other meaning to the
> following words:
> During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative
> in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a
> whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our
> country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements
> in our educational system.
>
> If one repeats that Gore claimed he invented the Internet based on the
> above, he she is NOT taking it out of context.

Nope.  One is simply wrong.

>                                                    Since the whole
> paragraph only speaks about the Intenet in that one sentence (I took
> the initiative.....), then it's NOT out of context to say that he
> claimed he invented the Internet.

Again, no, it's not out of context.  It's merely incorrect.

If one chooses to interpret Gore's usage of "Internet" to mean "the
commercial Internet that we have today", then yes, the initiatives he
worked on, including NREN, probably had a lot to do with it.

Anyone who wants to harp on Gore claiming "he invented the Internet" is
displaying an excellent command of the Strawman Argument.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_