[asterisk-biz] SIP to 24 FXS

Shane Young asterisk2 at shaneyoung.com
Mon Sep 18 13:29:46 MST 2006

Quoting Howard White <howwhi at usit.net>:

> Have a client needing SIP to 24 FXS, analog phone deployment (hotel).
> Has a SIP to 24 FXS box that works great except Message Waiting
> Indicator.  Analog phones have MWI but box doesn't handle it; vendor
> chooses not to work with issue.  I do not have the specifics as to the
> model of phone deployed so cannot answer which format MWI signal is
> expected by the phone.

If they are older 2500 type sets, they are most-likely high-voltage (70-90 volts) neon message
waiting lights.  I haven't seen any SIP devices (or anything IP for that matter) which will light
those suckers up.

If the MWI "flickers" with the ringing of the phone, it's a high-voltage neon type MWI.

The high-voltage lights were standard on PBX's for 30 years or more.

--Shane