[asterisk-biz] fax on demand

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue Sep 12 22:11:51 MST 2006

Mitul Limbani wrote:

> I guess you are aware of this bounty :
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+T.38+Bounty

The bounty has grown some over time, but it's still far, far too little
for anyone to get it done motivated only by the bounty.

To meet with the requirements on that bounty the developer would need to
not only code up some software DSPs (V.21, V.27ter, V.29 and ideally
V.17), but also code up a T.30 processor as well as T.38 and also then
somehow extend IAX2 protocol to support T.38 (because the bounty asks
for T.38 over IAX2).  It's just an insane amount of work to expect it to
get done by motivation of a bounty like this.  And then... to expect
that person to disclaim it to Digium - well, in my opinion the bounty as
presented is insultingly small for that kind of thing.  Hardware modem
manufacturers pay insane amounts of money to DSP vendors... it's not
exactly for nothing, either.

That said, Steve Underwood made a tremendous effort on getting T.38
pass-through support into Asterisk... which is why you see it now
appearing in 1.4.  Yet, if you were to take a look at the bug report
that he initiated to get that done (and I don't have it bookmarked any
more - the entertainment wore off) you'll see how depressingly difficult
it was for him to even get just that done (so difficult that he gave up
on it).  And that's just passthrough (on SIP)... not meeting the full
lofty goals of that bounty request.  (Passthrough is really only helpful
if your VoIP provider also supports T.38 - and if your VoIP provider
*does* support T.38 you can know for certain that they're not doing the
PSTN gateway with Asterisk.)

OpenPBX has had that T.38 SIP pass-through for a while now, and I
believe that the T.38 gateway support is now near production-worthy as
well.  OpenPBX can do that because it doesn't have to deal with the
dual-license limbo that Asterisk does - so everything getting into
spandsp (including full T.38 support) - is entirely license compatible.
But that doesn't necessarily mean that OpenPBX will fulfill every users'
ambitions, either.

Personally I'd like to see every PBX and fax machine in the world
support T.38.  However, having watched Asterisk users clamour for full
T.38 support for years now... and having seen where the development
trends have gone... I don't think that it's going to happen soon enough
to consider.

Lee.