[asterisk-biz] Digium's response to posting of G.729 and G.723 source code

Shidan shidan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 19:16:35 MST 2006

I honestly don't think these points would ever stand up in court. How can
you include something
and say you can use it and freely redistribute and in fact you can modify it
even as long as
you redistribute your modifications but then claim because of your trademark
your earlier statement is not valid.

It seems obvious to me that it would be contrary to any statements made in
the GPL if the entity in question demands  that you change the source code
to not mention your trademark . You have already said that you can use and
redistribute the product modified as long as you allow others to do so as
well. A trademark isn't meant to be used as a copyright,
its meant to preserve the right of the trademark holder to identify the
commercial source of a product or service.

So Redhat asking to not use its labels and designs on a web page  is fine
but you can't enforce a trademark on a running program you have released GPL
or words written in source code that's GPL, the fact that you give
permission to use and redistribute it
modified or not in the GPL would negate any rights you have to how the
source code or running program is changed or not changed as long as all
changes are shown in full and all proper credit is given. The GPL actually
partially serves the purposes of giving credit
always to the company or individual in question while giving free code.

---
Shidan Gouran