[asterisk-biz] Digium's response to posting of G.729 and G.723 source code

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Sep 6 18:54:20 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 02:25 +0200, Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 11:31 +1200, James Jones wrote:
> [snip]
> >  Which, I
> > fear, that mean Asterisk may be head the way of  Red Hat and going close
> > sourced!!!!!
>
> Maybe you should do a little research before you and make bold blanket
> statements (and top post). Red Hat Enterprise Linux is not closed
> source. How could for example CentOS exist without the source? See:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/x86_64/SRPMS
> Sure looks like *source* rpms to me...
>
> Patrick

I think perhaps that the confusion exists because redhat embeds
trademarked material in the product and while they give you exact
instructions on how to remove that content so you can exercise your GPL
rights without a lot of effort, you still cant redistribute their
trademarks without their permission.  This caused a lot of bad feelings
in the community.

But then again there are companies that embed trademarked material in
their product and dont provide such information on how you can exercise
your GPL rights with the product without a lot of investment in time in
hunting down everything to ensure compliance.
http://www.digium.com/en/company/profile/trademarkpolicy.php

Many in the open source community agree that this certainly goes against
the spirit of the GPL, and in some cases against the wording since you
dont have all the freedoms to edit and modify.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!