[asterisk-biz] What is the maximum number of extensions that can be supported by a single asterisk box

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 07:54:37 MST 2006

Alex

A direct answer is:  Any transcoding causes CPU use.  Normal call
switching is like routing and requires little CPU.  Think about this
~2000 users running fine on a normal server (corprate phone system
with a 10% utilization).   First thing in the morning 50% of them
check their voicemail.  The people that have voicemail listen to it
and it needs transcoded because it was saved as a wav file and emailed
to them.  Suddenly you have a high load on the server because the
voicemail is being converted from wav to your codec.  If your network
is set up well, meaning that each and every phone has a clean fast
connection to the server(s) then use a codec that does not do much
(g.711), so that 90% of the time you don't see anything.  When
transcoding does happen then you are moving from one low compression
to another codec and back which will give a lower CPU load.

Andrew