[asterisk-biz] What is the maximum number of extensions that can be supported by a single asterisk box

Ron Arts ron.arts at neonova.nl
Sun Oct 29 05:19:17 MST 2006

Alex,

This question is obviously difficult to answer:

- single asterisk box? Dual Xeon? Multi-core?
- would the same asterisk box need to be PSTN gateway?
- what would be the extension/calls ratio?
- would you be using asterisk applications like IVR, recording, voicemail?

A single box can handle many thousands of extensions as long
as they are idle...

But in my experience (based on asterisk 1.0.x and 1.2.x) a single
Dual-Xeon box can handle a couple of hundred calls at the same time,
if you don't do anything fancy like transcoding, call-recording and
zaptel cards.

Ron