[asterisk-biz] Monitoring needs for Asterisk?

Ivan Fetch voip at ivanfetch.com
Mon Oct 23 08:16:04 MST 2006

Hi Curt,

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Curt Shaffer wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 03:43 -0600, Ivan Fetch wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >    I'm going to develop some Nagios (http://www.nagios.org) plugins for
> > monitoring production Asterisk installations, and I'd like for the plugins
> > to be as useful to others as possible.  I've taken a look at the
> > "Monitoring Asterisk" voip-info.org page, but I'm curious about the
> > current state of need for monitoring.  Does anyone have current issues
> > which you'd like to monitor for; things which have really ripped the
> > proverbial table cloth out from under the PBX?
> >

> > Thanks for the feedback,
> >
> > - Ivan.
>
> There are a lot of areas that I think should be monitored but personally
> the one thing I would like to see is a plugin that monitors certain
> aspects of the quality of SIP or IAX trunks. That way we can have an
> event handler to change the priority of the trunk if quality drops
> beyond a certain threshold.
>
> Curt

   I'm experimenting with using the app_mwanalyze application (source at
http://planinternet.net/download/voip/asterisk/app_mwanalyze.c) and using
the values it returns as an accurate measure of call quality.

   IF the PBX originates a call to itself using a given provider for both
halves of the call, the called number will need to be silent, or produce
consistent audio, so that we know the MWAnalyze results are not being
fluctuated by a recording on the other end of the call which someone has
changed.  Another alternative is to have one PBX call the other, but that
introduces a new variable into the mix (the provider the calling PBX is
using to call the PBX we want to test).

   As for changing the priority for a given trunk, the most strait forward
way to do this seems to be through the Asterisk DB, or SQL DB if that's
being used, and have dial plans factor that DB into the plan's logic.

   Any thoughts or recommendations on this possibility?

Thanks,

ivan.