[asterisk-biz] Monitoring needs for Asterisk?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Oct 22 17:11:58 MST 2006

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 03:43:25AM -0600, Ivan Fetch wrote:
>    I'm going to develop some Nagios (http://www.nagios.org) plugins for
> monitoring production Asterisk installations, and I'd like for the plugins
> to be as useful to others as possible.  I've taken a look at the
> "Monitoring Asterisk" voip-info.org page, but I'm curious about the
> current state of need for monitoring.  Does anyone have current issues
> which you'd like to monitor for; things which have really ripped the
> proverbial table cloth out from under the PBX?

That sounds like an altogether excellent idea.  (Though I haven't ever
implemented Nagios, it's really cool looking.  :-)

Seems to me that you need to know all the things the core modules will
already tell you about the host machine, plus whether the Asterisk
instance is still alive (open a port to it's CLI and try to NOOP it?),
whether you can open new connections to it on each of the configured
interfaces, how many incoming and outgoing calls have moved in a given
time period (with changeable alert thresholds by daypart), and,
assuming you can reach it, the status of any T-1 or E-1 interfaces it
depends on.

And, I suppose, accessibility to any VoIP service servers that the
server depends on.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_