[asterisk-biz] DID Sprint->Vonage->Self?

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Oct 20 15:38:45 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 13:47 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:33:24PM -0400, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> > 	Is there any reason to believe that Vonage will stop me from porting
> > the old Sprint# out? I plan to keep my existing Vonage phone#, even
> > after I port the old Sprint# away from my Vonage account. FWIW, I'm
> > using about 100min:mo on the old Sprint#, and am open to other
> > strategies.
>
> *I* have reason to believe they would, but others here tell me in no
> uncertain terms that I'm wrong.  Check the archives from a couple weeks
> back...

The vonage TOS states (or at least did at one point) its upto vonage if
they let it out.  If your bill is current, there is no reason to believe
they wont, however my past experiences with vonage tech support (2-3
years ago) indicated that you may have to try a few times to get someone
that actually knows anything.

A friend who worked at vonage indicated they pay minimum wage for their
workers, so they arent attracting the best and brightest.  That may be
the larger obstacle.

If you try to port without calling vonage it may go through, vonage may
just sign off as long as your acct is current, especially if you have
that as a 2nd number on the same account.

If you owe them money though, I would imagine they will refuse to allow
the port as a means of trying to force you to pay.

I never tired to port anything into or out of vonage so my comments are
guesses and based on interactions with vonage, their TOS makes it a crap
shoot becuase you have no absolute right to port a number out once its
ported in, but from am arketing standpoint they would do better to not
block people when their bill is paid up as it will just generate bad
press in a competitive market.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!