[asterisk-biz] Any battery backup solution for asterisk?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 11 11:23:05 MST 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 06:48:57AM -0500, Alejandro Lengua wrote:
> I have seen several public Bids for PBXs in my country and
> most of them include the requirement of a set for energy backup
> based on batteries or a UPS.
>
> Have anyone faced a requirement like that?
> What equipment do you use in these cases? A UPS?

It depends, as others have noted, on how much stuff you have to run,
and how long you have to run it... and it depends a lot on regulatory
issues related to whether your phones are serving, say, people in a
rental property like a hotel.

On larger systems like that, particularly if you're driving lots of
remote phones and you're in a life-safety kind of environment (and if
you don't have a *firm* handle on what "life-safety" means, and "who
says so", run, do not walk, to hire someone who does :-), you're
probably going to find yourself *building* a UPS, with lots of big
deep-cycle batteries, and independent charger and inverter/rectifier boxes.

This can be an advantage, because it's easier to size the components
appropriately if they're individual items.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_