[asterisk-biz] Any battery backup solution for asterisk?

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Wed Oct 11 07:00:56 MST 2006

	Since you're apparently new to disaster preparedness, and you might
just get that bid, you should make sure that your power failover system
includes a (redundant) reliable *notification* system to admins when
main power fails. So they can intervene when mains fail, not when the
backup eventually fails. Because the backup power will last only a
limited time, during which the phones it keeps running will probably
become essential to reacting to whatever problem cut the main power.
Which means increased demand over the usual, which means shorter backup
time.

	Be careful. This stuff is important. Make sure your staff includes a
veteran crisis manager who's lived through these before (and come out a
hero).

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 09:35 -0400, Henry.L.Coleman wrote:
> Dear Alejandro, depending on how many phones you have it may be possible
> to   have a "limp" mode operation where only essential phones (using PoE)
> and asterisk are kept running using a UPS. If your Asterisk box has a
> monitor you don't really need to power this during a power cut. Obviously,
> the larger the UPS and the less it uses in a power cut the longer they
> will last. Usually one hour would be considered appropriate, if power
> outages last longer that this then you will need a generator. Your bids
> may not need to include a generator since if these are public government
> bids a generator would be considered a seperate facility item rather than
> a phone system specific item.
>

> Henry L.Coleman CEO
> *VoIP-PBX* 1-866-415-5355
> Toronto Ontario
> Canada
>

> > Alejandro Lengua wrote:
> >> I have seen several public Bids for PBXs in my country and
> >> most of them include the requirement of a set for energy backup
> >> based on batteries or a UPS.
> >>
> >> Have anyone faced a requirement like that?
> >> What equipment do you use in these cases? A UPS?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>
> > A gas generator, UPS, and PoE make a for a good power solution.  If you
> > are on a decent grid, you could get by with the the UPS and PoE.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve

(C) Matthew Rubenstein