[asterisk-biz] RE: Chanskype released

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro jcastro at instant.com.br
Thu Oct 5 08:14:24 MST 2006

Rene Mendoza wrote:
> If it requires X then dont run a zaptel card on it.
Hi Rene,

This isn't even a problem, because the issue isn't actually Zaptel vs.
X, it's Zaptel vs. graphics adapters. The X's we use are created by the
VNC server and don't need any graphics hardware at all. Yes, you need to
install Linux with all the graphics support, but afterwards you can
change /etc/inittab so it boots on text mode. The only services you need
started are vncserver and asterisk.
> What i dont get is the following. you need an account for each
> instance right? can you call anybody on the skype network? dont you
> need to add your buddies first? and then map alphanumeric skype ids to
> keypad dialable from asterisk IDs? Please tells us more about the
> functionality
Expanding on what Paulo said, with a softphone capable of accepting
alphanumeric typing of destinations, you can dial anybody. Even within
Skype itself you don't need to have a destination in your buddy list in
order to dial to it.

Of course, if all you have is plain numeric-pad telephones, you'll need
some dialplan mapping within Asterisk. Unless you plan to use ChanSkype
exclusively for dialing SkypeOut.

Feel free to share any further questions you may have.

Regards,
Juan