[asterisk-biz] RE: Chanskype released

Rene Mendoza rmendoza at bluebottle.com
Wed Oct 4 17:14:30 MST 2006

My take on this is that. It is a solution a real one .. that is not
40 K USD like some lame E1 Windows running skype gateway i saw on the
net the other day
It is not perfect as probably would be better not to rely on the
skype client and graphics mode for that matter but they are releasing
a solution for the age long skype asterisk dilemma
And under linux and it is asterisk compatible at the channel level so
If it requires X then dont run a zaptel card on it. Just  link to
your zaptel box via iax or whatever. you know better than this.
My only complain is really the price..  it is still very expensive at
90USD port.  Talk about thinking that g729 licenses were expensive!.
and well it is also probably required and if so, annoying, to get an
account for each port.

I think what someone could do is to offer a skype termination
service. per channel/minute. it may sound ridiculous but hey asterisk
and skype are really offnet.
Communications costs are approaching zero i know but at the prices
skype pstn functionality is coming towards us makes me thing that
there are more than a few people interested in doing asterisk-skype

What i dont get is the following. you need an account for each
instance right? can you call anybody on the skype network? dont you
need to add your buddies first? and then
  map alphanumeric skype ids to keypad dialable from asterisk IDs?

Please tells us more about the functionality

Rene mendoza