[asterisk-biz] work in europe ;)

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Mon Nov 27 19:57:39 MST 2006

Conrad Wood wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 15:51 -0700, Colin Anderson wrote:
>

>>>Pfft. If you want cold come to Montana. Current temp is 15F/-9C and it's
>>>

>>only 3:30pm. Tomorrows high is forecast to be 9F/-12C.
>>
>>Pfft. In Edmonton, only 500k to the north of Montana, it's -23c, snowing
>>like hell, windchill to -33, and expected -27c tonight. We'd feel privileged
>>to have -9c weather. Yes, I'm hating Edmonton a *lot* right now.
>>

>ok. you win ;-) Unless someone's building asterisk on the northpole or
>on the moon I guess.
>See, here in London it's always 10-15 degrees celsius wether it's summer
>or winter. (Ok, I am exaggerating a bit, sometimes it's warmer, but only
>if a plane flies lower than usual).

Nice thing these days is we have weather.com to quickly get records and
averages for any place in the US. People less than an hour drive from me
have much harder winters.

>What annoys me more about London is the flipping travelling, regardless
>wether you go by car/train/bus/motorbike or whatever. It's just a royal
>pain to get around and get anything done. Appart from the fact that I'm
>not too keen on the direction the UK government is heading either...
>Call me crazy, but I rather spend more time working on some cool project
>than wasting my time on a tube or being stuck in a traffic jam.

Light traffic is a big factor keeping me here in Maine. I am 20 minutes
from a major grocery store and 35 minutes from the Bangor mall area
which has everything else. It's a non-stressful drive. I have lived in
major metro areas so I appreciate the difference.

I recently heard something interesting on the news. In one major metro
area(somewhere in Asia I think it was) the average trip of 20 miles or
less takes the same or less time by bicycle. In the UK the numbers might
be different due to the booze factor.