[asterisk-biz] RE: If money is not a considerationwho givesthebest SIP termination??

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Fri Nov 24 01:28:11 MST 2006

> I setup the calling card system for the US Embassy information service
> in Dakar Senegal.  Calling card stuff is trivial.  I just don't want
> the calling card stuff crossing the boundaries or using my trunks that
> are the bread and butter of the company, the call center, sales and
> support.  If I could co-lo it somewhere in a one or two U server in
> someone's rack at a carrier hotel and get good LAN/SIP to TDM price
> and quality or have it totally hosted, then It is one less thing to
> worry about.  Time is money as they say.  My time is certainly worth
> more than a few dollars an hour.

I see.

I have a friend who runs a hosting business in Vancouver and they have
plenty of servers and good bandwith - and there's a telecom carrier
called Group Telecom in the same building - and I think they can provide
SIP trunks that terminate directly to TDM. So it'd still be your own
server but it would be off your production site. You can get in touch
with me off list if you want to explore this option.

> I only do SIP.  H323 and MGCP in asterisk are way to buggy for my
> blood.  IAX is cool for WAN trunking but I try to stick with SIP/ULAW
> only.

I don't really like IAX... it's not a standard, has some compatibilities
issues within itself depending on the version of Asterisk which you use,
and doesn't separate media from signaling properly. Oh, and trunking a
large number of channels can be hazardous too.

I think you're right: if bandwith is not a problem, SIP / G711 is the
only sensible way to go. Otherwise, SIP / g729 isn't too bad either.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.