[asterisk-biz] RE: If money is not a considerationwho givesthebestSIP termination??

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Nov 24 01:12:33 MST 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Mike Hammett wrote:

> Apparently some people take things a little more personal\serious than I
> do.
No, some people are just more serious than you are.

> If you have that sort of volume, then you can justify layer two links
> into your providers' networks.
>
> Layer 2 links (whether cross-connects within the carrier hotel or some
> sort of transport to another location) to your providers is every bit as
> good as a DS3.  You then peer your AS with their AS.  Since your ASes
> would be peers, traffic would logically flow over the cross connect.
> If something happens to that link (assuming you have no other forms of
> redundancy), you can resort to a public Internet path to save your butt.
> I am relatively new to all of this, but I'm thinking that if you and
> your provider have Level(3), they won't dump it off to PCCW just to pick
> it back up again.  It does not make fiscal or engineering sense.
But you have no QoS within your provider's network. You do not have
guaranteed precise timing. Your faxes sent over g.711 may or may not work.
That is not a problem for TDM.

> I'm sure those that have deployed a network similar to what I described
> (and am in process of building out) have enjoyed the same happiness with
> their solution, however, they have a more flexible solution that has
> cost them less.  As the saying goes (I'm sure with some degree of
> slaughter)...  No one got fired for buying IBM, but many got promoted
> for implementing a better solution.
>
> Yes, the ICS that I started is a local WISP, VoIP operator, network
> support, etc., etc.  However, I am in process of securing racks,
> bandwidth, private lines, etc. in several carrier hotels in the US and
> EU (possible merger\acquisition of another provider with a presence in
> the US and Asia).  The clients that I have\am working with represent
> over 20k lines.  I have grown beyond the simple operation you take me
> for.
You keep reminding everyone here of Nick Catalano. Try not to make the
same mistakes as he did - don't talk about things "in process" until it
actually happens. Otherwise, everyone will keep reminding you of your RFP
back when you were in high school for some research project.

> Am I pushing a product?  No, I am not ready for customers.  I'm just
> trying to push against the "TDM is holier than thou" mentality when not
> needed.  GSM?  Why?  It sounds horrible.  G.711 or G.729.  I'm waiting
> for good Asterisk support of wideband codecs for higher quality yet.
TDM just works. Yes, you *can* make VoIP work almost as good as TDM -
using proper QoS, T.38 for faxing, <insert some other solution for modem
pass-through> - but why, when TDM just works?

Alex Pilosov    | DSL, Colocation, Hosting Services
President       | alex at pilosoft.com    877-PILOSOFT x601
Pilosoft, Inc.  | http://www.pilosoft.com