[asterisk-biz] RE: If money is not a considerationwho givesthebest SIP termination??

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Thu Nov 23 12:17:39 MST 2006

> "ALMOST does not count except in horse shoes and hand grenades."
> Neither of which would I ever consider basing 12,000 call a day
> 5million minute/mo, multi-million dollar call center on.

That's 13.8 minutes per call. Pretty good going for a call center! It's
probably tech support, I suspect mass phone marketing as a much lower
ACD than this =)

> Lets talk dollars and cents.  Quantify the cost part of "IP
> connections can be made much more fault tolerant than TDM connections
> at a much lower cost."  I understand the fault tolerance (but not so
> much in your no peering scenario).  Cost of what?  The cost of
> redundancy?  Are you including the costs of lost revenue, sales, an
> hour of downtime costing $25k?  Lets talk numbers since we both
> understand how the public internet works (or doesn't for realtime
> apps).  Neither my voice DS3 nor my multilink 3xT1s have ever gone
> down and have always provided PERFECT voice quality.

Some gateways such as Quintum have the ability to automatically failover
PSTN when speech quality becomes unacceptable. That might be what you're
looking for... you'd still get some substantial savings by doing LCR &
using multiple VoIP providers (ibasis, vsnl, teleglobe...) AND you would
still get decent speech quality at all times.

Mind you, with this kind of volume, you might be able to negotiate
pretty good deals over TDM anyways... it's what the VoIP players do:
collect traffic to try and build volume so they can get better deals.
Since you already have the volume (okay, 5MM is tiny in the grand scheme
of things, but still pretty good going), and don't have a multi-site
setup, VoIP might be lots of migration work and get you little in return.

And if it's a multimillion dollar operation, it's not like you can toy
around with it too much either...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.