[asterisk-biz] Doesn anyone use Godaddy's dedicated server with Asterisk

c.savinovich at itntelecom.com c.savinovich at itntelecom.com
Thu Nov 16 16:19:48 MST 2006

  If you use any virtual dedicated server you will not be able to time the
calls, if you plan to use Asterisk with a prepay billing system.
Something about Asterisk using the clock cycles of the cpu to do its
timing, which in the case of a virtual server, throws the time metering
off...  curiously, I was having a conversation a couple of days ago with
a friend of mine who owns a colocation center that provide VPS's here in
NYC, and he claimed that he had solved that issue.

 I have 2 VPS with GoDaddy, I am planning to keep them, what the heck, but
I think they are suited for non-power users...  They are not really full
servers in the sense that you really cannot format the hard drive nor
install your favorite version of linux, mysql, or squirrel... which can
be good or can be bad, depending on your choice... I hate not having the
freedom, and the fact that they don't tell you about it.  Also, after
they set it up for you, they will not even give you the time of the day.
You will be on your own, for real.  My suggestion is, for asterisk
installations, you are better off using other companies that provide the
VPS services more geared to Asterisk users.

CS