[asterisk-biz] Termination to 44780, UK Premium?

Linus Surguy linus at magrathea-telecom.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 09:57:16 MST 2006

>> +44 870 is technically 'shared cost' and not 'premium'. In country
>> interconnect settlement rates for this are around GBP 0.065/0.034/0.015,
>> so if you manage to get better than this don't rely on the route sticking
>> around as it will be below cost.
>
>  Shared cost?  Where can I read more about these numbers?
>
>  Right now the only rate I have from the providers I use is USD$0.36/min.
>  Another provider, while publishing a rate of 0.0141, informed me after
>  calls failed that, oh yeah, our upstream provider is blocking those
>  numbers because they are premium.  Joy.

A [very] simplified version of the UK numbering plan is:

+44 1 & 2 : Normal landline numbers
+44 3 & 4 : Not used at the moment
+44 500   : Tollfree
+44 55 & 56 : Numbers for VoIP subscribers
+44 70 : 'Personal' Numbers - designed for forwarding to other phones, costs
between GBP0.1 and GBP0.5/min
+44 76/77/78/79 : Mobile
+44 800 & 808 : Tollfree
+44 844/845/870/871 : 'Shared cost' - mainly business contact numbers,
retail cost < GBP0.10, but more expensive than most people pay for a
landline
+44 9 : Premium. Up to GBP1.50 per minute

A lot of international carriers classify +44 8 anything as either premium or
mobile and charge a high rate or block it.

If these numbers are important to you, it might make sense to terminate
these on a UK carrier - we can do this for you, but do need wholesale
volumes and so you'd probably have to send us some other traffic too. If you
are interested, drop the team at sales at magrathea-telecom.co.uk a line.

Linus