[asterisk-biz] How Realistic is Hosted VoIP for SMBs?

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Sat Nov 4 14:04:50 MST 2006

> Disagree. I think there are many people here who want the
*flexibility*
> and
> openness of Asterisk at a reasonable price. You don't seem to
understand
> what "Enterprise class features" mean.

Yep this is exactly what I want from Asterisk.

The whole reason I'm involved with Mexuar and it's click to call
technology http://www.mexuar.com/products_sdk.shtml is because now an
Asterisk System Integrator can to go to their client look them straight
in the eye and say I have something that I have something no one else
from Cisco, Nortel, NEC etc can deliver.

With Asterisk we have the ability to implement functions that no
proprietary vendor can compete with.

Ok so some of the earlier ones like "the weather - ftp to text to speech
application" were a little rinky dink (I really wish someone would
implement more variations of this!!) and the "Bluetooth follow me"
function might have been a little difficult to implement company wide.

But with some of the "PABX 2.0" applications that are coming like Iotum
and Lumen-vox (though I'd really love to see a sip pay-per-minute
gateway like I was suggesting 18 months ago
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Tellme) there are real application
advantages of selling Asterisk over a Cisco.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the day an Asterisk reseller
wins a deal at $50,000 against a Cisco at $50,000 is the day that I know
Asterisk has finally come of age.

Cheers,

Dean Collins
www.Cognation.net