[asterisk-biz] 24/7 support from voip providers?

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Sat Nov 4 13:20:52 MST 2006

What I have seen in the last 2 years using several providers:

Most obvious outage where consumer is not at fault is incoming DID
outage. In one case I have 3 DID's with same rate center. One goes to
SPA2K on my T1. The other 2 go to asterisk servers at good data
centers(east coast and west coast). If all DID's go down on a Friday
evening and I report the outage by leaving a voicemail, sending an email
and the web-based ticket system. I get the usual automated response by
email and the following  Monday morning somebody verifies that an entire
DID block is down and deals with it.

vonage has fixed things after hours

j2/efax also but first I had to convince the guy to simply try dialing
any number they had at that rate center. It took a few more hours after
that but at least they found one of their engineers on a Saturday
morning and got it fixed.

I don't have to name the providers who don't have real 24/7 support.
Let's just name some who really do and let's stick to ones that have
some capacity. Let's say we would be building up to at least 5000 DID's
in a year and we need a wide availability of rate centers. I'll start
the list but I don't count efax/j2 since they are not providing voip.

Large(enough) voip providers who really do have 24/7 support

vonage