[asterisk-biz] How Realistic is Hosted VoIP for SMBs?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Nov 3 14:15:32 MST 2006

GlobalOfficePhone wrote:
> Kristian:
>
> Astlinux is one potential solution. I remember reading about GumStix
> whic you first showed at Astricon. One of the applications suggested for
> Gumstix was to enable local phones behind a NAT to communicate with a
> remote Asterisk server. That would enable the local phones to bypass the
> Asterisk server and exchange the audio between the phones directly.
>
> Is what you are suggesting with AstLinux?
>
> Thanks.

You bet!

	Seriously though, something like AstLinux/Gumstix/Soekris/WRAP/whatever
would be EXTREMELY powerful for these exact situations.

	At Astricon, I was using a Gumstix to do nat traversal, encryption, AND
IAX from two Polycom IP430s to a remote box (through no less than three
layers of nat).  Like this:

Polycom IP 430 (100)

	SIP

Gumstix
	(encrypted IAX)

NAT

NAT

	(still encrypted IAX)

	(Remote Asterisk box)

	(SIP)

Polycom IP430, gateway, whatever

	I know this diagram is terrible, but it shows my point.  Why used some
closed source, proprietary solution when you can use any hardware
supported by AstLinux (which is fully customizable too, btw), Asterisk,
Linux, iptables, etc to do the job at a fraction of the cost?

	Plus, this would allow the full capabilities of AstLinux/Asterisk -
dundi?  no problem.  OpenVPN? sure  IPSEC to a Cisco? easy! SCCP? MGCP?
IAX? SIP? - all supported!

	Of course, standard features like QoS, vlans, traffic shaping, DNS
proxy, DHCP server, DHCP client, NTP server, FTP/TFTP/HTTP/HTTPS
daemons, PHP for a web interface, etc are all there in about ~45mb or so.

	I don't mean to sound like a total salesman for AstLinux, but I
strongly believe that this is one area where it can really shine. Check
it out!

http://www.astlinux.org

P.S. - This is asterisk-biz, so...  If you want all of these features in
an easy to manage package with
termination/origination/support/management/monitoring, Star2Star can do
that for you :) http://www.star2star.com

	Yes, in addition to developing AstLinux, I work for Star2Star. :)

--
Kristian Kielhofner