[asterisk-biz] Affordable embedded SIP proxy server/router

Marcos Rubino contact_marcos at yahoo.es
Wed May 31 16:20:36 MST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to find the right solution to to
complement a system I want set up.  I am looking for
solid state SIP Proxy/Registrar that can be placed on
the customer premises to handle internal call routing
(between both phones and gateways) whenever the
primary (remote) SIP PBX becomes unavailable (because
the WAN link is down).

I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles, just
automatic failover, remote provisioning and of course
the proxy/registrar service. Here is a picture:

http://www.comdasys.com/Products/images/products/enterprise2.png

I have looked at a number of solutions out there but
haven't found any that are quite right, usually
because of unneeded functionality (and hence high
price), restrictive licensing (having to install
additional user licenses post deployment won't scale
well for me) or lack of distribution in North America
(though this is not a show stopper).

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Here are my criteria:
- No moving parts
- Secure remote provisioning
- SIP compliant proxy and registrar server
- Automatic failover when WAN goes down
- unrestricted user licensing
- *Costs less than US$300*

Nice to have:
- VPN
- QoS
- FXO/FXS ports built-in
- Distributed in N. America

Here is what I have found so far:

Comdasys Convergence 550
    - http://tinyurl.com/o6jjz
    - looks great, but not sure about distribution and
price.

Soundwin SVR400
    - http://www.soundwin.com/svr.php
    - Even more iffy regarding distribution and price.

Linksys SPA9000 IP PBX
    - http://tinyurl.com/pe7cu
    - pricey ($400-$700) + annoying license
restrictions

Patton SmartNode 4520 series
    -
http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=870
    - nice. but a bit out of my price range

Intertex SurfinBird
    -
http://www.intertex.se/products/detail.asp?iProductID=58
    - seems to fit the bill but the hardware alone is
about $250
    - licensing restricts number of users and seems
complicated
    - can't find software prices

AVM FritzBox, Alcatel Speedtouch 610/620, Welltech
Wellgate 3701A
    - distibution and licensing issues

Anybody have experience with these or known of a
better solution I haven't mentioned?

Marc