[asterisk-biz] Selling the source code for asterisk callcentersolution

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed May 24 11:05:57 MST 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Michael Workman wrote:

> You ask EVERYONE to make all there work and effort Open Source cause you
> don't want to pay.....
> But if we follow the Rules according to GPL... then Why the Hell is had not
> Digium made the g729 and g723.1 Codec's open source...

Because they are patent encumbered.

> it was written on code from asterisk... for it Should be open source
> according to GPL... So in Short.... I don't think people should demand that
> people make there software open source UNTIL Digium Makes G729 and G723 Open
> source...

But, G729 and G723.1 are patent encumbered and have restrictive
distribution licenses that preclude them from being truly open. What
Digium has done w/ G729 strikes a balance between protecting the Patent
Holder and providing a service. I don't fault them for it. Last time I
could get an answer out of Sipro.com for the g723 licensing it was
$110,000 for the rights to distribute it.

> Until they do... Asterisk's GPL Has not Got a Pot to piss in...

Take it up with them.

                             KP-216-121-ST