[asterisk-biz] Legal actions in case of lost DIDs.

Tomer Horn thorn at ivrit.org.il
Tue May 23 08:19:16 MST 2006

Hello folks,

I have some odd question which might require an attorney but I was
wondering if anyone got an experience with this anyway.
Assuming you provide DIDs (country is not important, or maybe it does?),
and you serve your customers with those DIDs for a long period, suddenly
you lose the control and the ability to provide those DIDs to your
customers - what happens, legal-wise?

This is the case of Nufone as we all know (and others, which aren't
mentioned).

- Is there any base for legal actions against the provider?
- Were legal actions (or attempts) were taken before in similar scenarios?
- Can the customer do anything about the fact he lost his business' DID?
- If not, can VoIP DIDs from such providers be considered safe for
business use?
- How does the customer sees VoIP if he is aware (or doesn't) of the
fact the DID might be in such a risk?
- Can we depend on such providers?
- Also note I am not talking about U.S.. I am talking about countries
where DID porting doesn't exist and numbers are the sole of the
providing telecoms. Either you work with the telecom and have the DID or
you don't, period.

Don't get me wrong, I am attacking nobody here and I haven't experienced
the situation as a customer myself. However, it is indeed curious what
reliability VoIP DID suppliers have.

I would like to hear the experience of others about this.

Tomer.