What's a "Phone"? (was: Re: [asterisk-biz] Nufone appears to be on the rebound)

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Fri May 19 13:04:11 MST 2006

	The FCC has used the "reasonable service expectation" policy as a
criterion for VOIP 911 service support:
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/43229.html .

	The New York City Council (legislature), among other jurisdictions uses
that expectation policy to inform its lawmaking and oversight as well:
http://www.nyccouncil.info/issues/report_act.cfm?mtfile=T2004-1426 .

	Those expectations transcend the "info service" vs "info network" false
dichtomy confounding so much governance of modern telecom. 911 forces
the issue, because people's reasonable expectations can't be changed to
meet lower vendor standards, and lives are at stake all day long.
Whether those policies govern the rest of "telephony", or remain limited
by the traditional image of "telephony" as people can begin to expect an
"Internet dialtone" for more varied services, will be played out over
the next few years.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein