[asterisk-biz] Nuphone comment

Wilson Pickett spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 03:44:58 MST 2006

I am a retail voIP end-user at home and at the office (same
connections, thanks to asterisk).

At the office, we have many local carriers AND two copper pair
backups. Those have NEVER been off. We also have several incoming USA
tollfree numbers, now up to five where before we had two. The one we
used for backup during Nufone's outage is not very good for our
current location, and I have a family member travelling in the US
right now, so we had to have service and fast.

Most of us know the various rates and service levels from the main
well-known companies. Remember that Nufone has NO monthly charge and
their retail rates and quality are quite reasonable. Oh, let's forget
the fact the they have also contributed "majorly" to the whole concept
we all are so attached to :)

If your business were having problems with any legal ramifications
(i.e., contractual or billing negotiations) you can bet you wouldn't
be publishing the details for all to see. Anything legal must be kept
secret for reasons that are obvious to any adult. I think they've been
very good about posting the status on the site and mailing us as well.
I personally don't care if they ever tell what actually happened.

I have only very seldom required help from Nufone, but each of the
times I did, I reached someone. Although the responses weren't always
warm and fuzzy hand holding, they did solve the problem quickly in
each case. The only condition is to not rub JerJer's fur the wrong way
:)

I have exchanged a couple of mails with two Nufone people recently for
reasons I can't say here, but related to the problem they are
experiencing now. I have confidence in Nufone and have added funds to
our account. I've also began testing two new providers, and almost got
an incoming from VoicePulse, but changed my mind after speaking to
them.

Bottom line, I have had very good service from Nufone over the past 2
years. I regret the temporary loss of service, which came at the worst
possible time for me, but we're also not paying anything at all during
the outage. When my cable Internet connection went out for three full
weeks a few years ago, we had to drag the cable company to court to
get them to re-imburse us for the month.

In the meantime, the other fallback accounts I've opened have both
setup AND monthly charges. In the case of VoicePulse, they *really*
wanted to me to pay $26 to post one of my Nufone numbers plus the $11
normal setup fee plus a higher per-minute rate. I am now using VP
Connect as a backup for outgoing.

I am working on a chart with my experience of the ten top providers
over the last two years. I'd place Nufone very high on that list.