[asterisk-biz] Large System

Aaron Daniel amdtech at shsu.edu
Wed Mar 29 10:59:15 MST 2006

We use the rule of thumb "less is more."  The more dynamic you can make
your dialplan, the quicker it'll be to respond.  The more extensions your
dialplan contains, the longer it takes to reload, and their was sometimes
a noticable delay in setting up the call, since it was searching through
all the extensions and priorities.  We've moved most of our non-critical
extension information out of the dialplan, so now instead of having
something like 1000 extensions, we have 93.  Everything else is dynamic in
that if we add an exchange that's considered local, we don't have to
reload the dialplan.  If you program every single phone into the dialplan,
it's bound to croak at some point from the sheer volume of how many
extensions you have in there.  I think when we originally started with
having all those programmed in, the server would literally drop off the
system for a few seconds, disrupting any phone calls that needed to be put
through.

Aaron