[asterisk-biz] UK terminations/origination and DID

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Tue Mar 28 16:31:08 MST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 02:58:28PM -0800, Ioan Biris wrote:

>     can anyone tell me who are the biggest players for the UK market ?
>       We need good pricing for termination/origination and DIDs from Tier1
>    only... i repeat tier1 only.

In the UK rates are regulated by Ofcom (sort of equivalent to the FCC).

BT still have dominance in the UK fixed market, and for foreign
players they may be your best bet. They still own ~85% of the fixed
market.

There are 5,600 local BT exchanges and other operators connect into
these, in order to get single or dual tandem connections another operator
has to connect to around 770 of them.

The OLOs (other licensed operators, though since the communications act
came into force, licenses don't exist any more - but still the same
players are): -

Cable and Wireless (C&W)
Carephone Warehouse (aka TalkTalk)
THUS
NTL

There are probably some others.

Most other telcos resell one or more of those.

There are also 5 mobile networks (termination rates are also set by
Ofcom) and they are Vodafone, O2 (now Telefonica), Orange, T-Mobile and
3 (Hutchison Telecom).

Generally the bigger players wont directly deal with smaller players
unless you have a good credit rating, and commit to large monthly
volumes (millions of minutes per month). They also are generally
traditional telcos with SS7 networks and don't quite understand this new
fangled VoIP world, though that is changing.

Steve

p.s. there is no specific order precedence.

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com