[asterisk-biz] Dubai DID Wanted

steve steve at supertec.com
Tue Mar 14 14:51:34 MST 2006

I don't think there is a concise 'legalese' guide for VoIP in emerging 3rd world countries (nor 1st or 2nd world for that matter).  I think the guys were correct earlier for stating that the UAE considers it illegal to bridge voip calls to their PSTN.  But why is this so?  The only answer I can come up with is that the national phone system is owned and operated by the goverment, and I think you will find that this is the case with many of the middle eastern countries.  Now the last thing these entities want is some 'disruptive technology' such as Asterisk, or VoIP sneaking in between the cracks of the system and taking dirhams, rupees or camels from their royal coffers. (i.e. the rich don't stay rich by giving it away ya know.)  What it boils down to is money and power having the ability to keeps information ( via censorship) out of the hands of thier peasents, err... I mean citizens.

Regards,
Steve Cayona

Thank you Rusty and Dan for the clarification. I think it is usefull
for most people like myself to learn the basic regulations of
providing telephony services without becoming a lawyer.

Is there a such a source of information for those of us who are not
lawyers but need to learn enough to make intelligent decisions and to
have intelligent conversations with lawyers?

Regards,
Matt