[Asterisk-biz] Any advise on replacing an existing analog installation with Asterisk

astgroups astgroups at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 11 08:30:41 MST 2006

Herman Webley wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 20:07 -0500, C F wrote:
>

>>If you have to ask, then it's time you hire a shopper.

>>>Where can one get channels banks for $500?
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>Herman
>>>

>Your response suggests that it should be obvious where to find channel
>banks for $500. For clarity, I mean 24 FXS to T1 or IP. They should be
>new and have warranties. Also I would need to be able to buy similarly
>priced replacement/expansion units in the future.
>
>Are there cost effective channel banks or gateways out there that offer
>higher densities than a single T1? I haven't even been able to find many
>E1 channel banks / gateways.
>
>Best regards,
>Herman Webley

Herman- You would be hard pressed to find a new Channel Bank for under
$1000US. On the second hand market (see Ebay) you can normally find good
deals on used units sometimes for $500 or less as mentioned before. A
strategy you could consider is buying used units along with a couple of
spares on hand to cover yourself in the event of a hardware fault. They
are fairly simple to swap out though obviously you will have some
downtime.. For new CBs I would recommend the Rhinos. If you are willing
to buy used items you will find good pricing on Adtran 750s. These are
very solid devices. We use them extensibly in large analog rollouts and
find them very solid and Asterisk friendly, even with used units.

Good luck.